It’s been two months since we got back from the Gluten and Allergen Free Expo and I can’t believe how many YUMMY samples we still have! We tried a ton of new brands, met some great people, and went home with a lot of good information.
1. BREAD SRSLY is the best gluten free sourdough bread you will ever have. If you are ever in San Fransisco, you need to buy yourself 5 loaves. And if not, you still need to buy yourself 5 loaves. They’ll ship it to you! SRSLY amazing, right?
2. I met Pamela! THE Pamela from Pamela’s Products. She’s so sweet. And her microwavable brownie mix packets are divine! My (gluten and dairy free) 6 year old nephew came to visit and he was thrilled that he could make brownies (that he could eat) all by himself!
3. There were so many great gluten free products at the expo—many of which we buy on a regular basis: Glutino, Udi’s, Kind, Barilla, Van’s, Glutenfreeda and Crunchmaster. But it was also refreshing to discover some new brands that Joe and I weren’t familiar with! One of the snack bars I’ve been enjoying the most is Betty Lou’s. We brought back Nut Butter Balls and Just Great Stuff Bars (both link to my favorite flavor). We also got to try Smart Flour pizza and it’s our new favorite! We find them in the freezer section at Whole Foods. My nephew was excited that we saved him a pack of HomeFree chocolate chip cookies. They are great snack for kids and adults!
4. I splurged and bought myself a cookbook FULL of yummy gluten free desserts—I couldn’t resist! Kyra Bussanich, winner of Food Network’s Cupcake Wars, was there signing her cookbook. If you need a gift for a gluten free friend (or yourself), pick up Sweet Cravings: 50 Seductive Desserts for a Gluten-Free Lifestyle.
5. Talk about specialists. Both Dr. Amy Burkhart and Nadine Grzeskowiak had so much knowledge to share. There is still so much unknown about celiac disease, but they are experts in what we do know about it. I highly recommend reaching out to one or both of them if you suspect someone in your life might have a gluten intolerance. Here is their information:
Dr. Amy Burkhart: Integrative MD [theceliacmd.com]
Nadine Grzeskowiak: Gluten Free RN [glutenfreern.com]
If there is a Gluten and Allergen Free Expo coming to your area, I highly recommend you check it out! It was definitely worth our drive to the Bay Area.
Find me on twitter: @tevahopper